Stay Fit and Healthy at Home with Tips from SpaHalekulani’s Wellness Experts
It is more important than ever to find new ways to stay active and healthy. With gyms, fitness studios and spas temporarily closed, our SpaHalekulani health and wellness experts are here to share their tips on how to stay active and enhance your well-being – all from the comfort of your home!
To get your blood flowing and muscles moving, Kamala Nayeli, Director of Spa & Wellness, suggests starting the day with a morning stretch. The Makka-Ho sequence stimulates the meridians and brings balance to the mind and body. Kamala also suggests trying yoga or standing / seated crunches to help strengthen the core. For those who are looking for a bit more cardio, jumping jacks or jump rope is the perfect activity and even helps support the immune system.
Aside from drinking a “morning elixir” of room temperature water with a splash of lemon, ginger juice or vinegar, here are some other ingredients that our SpaHalekulani experts swear by to boost the immune system in addition to exercising:
- Turmeric (grated raw root, powder and/or tea)
- Fresh Garlic
- Leafy Greens
- Colorful Vegetables and Fruits (filled with vitamins A, C, E and D)
- Fatty Fish (salmon, mackerel, sardines)
- Camu Camu Powder
- Fermented Foods (miso, sauerkraut, kimchi)
If you prefer a hot beverage, SpaHalekulani Health & Wellness Coach Kamala Skipper recommends the following teas that are mostly caffeine free and will do the trick when it comes to relieving anxiety and calming the body:
- Herbal Tisanes such as chamomile blends, hibiscus flowers (hot or iced), ginseng and licorice
- Holy Basil
Essential oils are also helpful for calming the mind and body. Our SpaHalekulani experts recommend the following essential oils, which can be inhaled in the palm, steam shower or diffuser:
- Tea Tree (anti-microbial, anti-viral)
- Frankincense (reduces anxiety & supports healthy immune function)
- Eucalyptus (reduces mucus which causes inflammation, also anti-microbial)
- Copaiba (supports healthy immune function and calms the nervous system)
- Lavender (anti-inflammatory and cooling properties)
#HawaiiFromHome and try some of these exercises and healthy tips with us. We are all in this together! Be sure to tag @halekulanihotel and show us how you are staying active.